Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1883, this Spanish Colonial style structure served as the Cameron County Jail until 1913, when Jose and Joaquin Fernandez purchased the property. They converted the building into a store, with living quarters to the rear. Features include a decorative brick cornice and corner buttresses.
La cárcel fue construida en 1883 y fue convertida como tienda en 1913.
Guadalupe A. Fernandez, Sr. & Family
Erected by City of Brownsville & the Guadalupe Fernandez family.
Location. 25° 54.213′ N, 97° 29.735′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Madison Street north of East 12th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, near the center of the building and just to the right of the doorway at this address. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1152 East Madison Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old County Jail / Fernandez Building (a few steps from this marker); Old Cameron County Courthouse/Dancy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1882 Cameron County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cameron County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1912 Cameron County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Law Enforcement •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.