Walters in Cotton County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Founded August 6, 1901
After the flood of May 1902, the town moved south to higher ground. When Cotton Co. was created in 1912, voters chose Walters the county seat.
Home to the Comanche Nation homecoming each July. Hometown to 8 of the original 17 “Code Talkers,” who spoke Comanche to provide U.S. Forces with a language that could not be decoded during World War II.
In the 1930’s, Walters was known as the “Turkey Capital of the World.” Still the hub of rich cotton, wheat, cattle and oil operations. Walters has many fine businesses and a school system that has produced national and state leaders as well as champion scholars and athletes. Active civic clubs, cultural groups and churches contribute to this friendly city's welcoming charm.
Erected 2001 by Oklahoma
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 34° 21.713′ N, 98° 19.063′ W. Marker is in Walters, Oklahoma, in Cotton County. Marker is on West Missouri Avenue (Oklahoma Route 5) west of North 9th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Near the Cotton County Expo Building. Marker is in this post office area: Walters OK 73572, United States of America.
Also see . . . Oklahoma Historical Society on Walters. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.