Near Laingsburg in Clinton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sleepy Hollow State Park
Welcome! To Sleepy Hollow State Park!
When it came time to decide the name of the park, a great debate arose between the cities of St. Johns, Elsie and Laingsburg. All three towns wanted the park to bare their name. Instead, the name was chosen from one of the landowners, I.B. Crane, whose name is reminiscent of the fictional hero Ichabod Crane of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow."
Sleepy Hollow land included two one-room schoolhouses, the Grove School and the Dennison School.
The Grove School was located on the corner of Price Road and Shepardsville Road. It was sold and moved by an area resident.
The Dennison School opened in 1881 on land given by the neighboring Dennison Family, the one-room school house educated kindergarten through eighth grade in the rural tradition. It was located on Centerline Road and is now the present
The Dennison home was purchased by the Martin Family in 1941 who owned the land until the formation of the park. Other original area families were Tait, Wilson, Beckwith, Balcom, Price, Jorea, Crane, Reed, Mizga, Scott, Jones, Allen, Williams, Montague, Giffeis, Huyek, Chamberlain, Tisch, Underhill, Alwards, Hunt, Nicholas, Greene, Hill and Young.
Sleepy Hollow State Park was developed as part of the State Lakes Project in the early 1960's. Along with Ionia State Recreation Area, this project was created to offer central Michigan residents outdoor and water-based recreation in the "lake-less" region between Grand Rapids and the thumb area. Dedicated in 1965 and officially opened in 1976, Sleepy Hollow embraces nearly 2800 acres.
Lake Ovid was created by damming up the Little Maple River. Farms and homesteads were purchased with the last families moving away by 1967. Dam construction began in 1974 using federal Land and Water dollars. Extensive clearing and grading were undertaken to ensure a clean lake bottom, sufficient lake shore slope and bordering
Location. 42° 56.536′ N, 84° 24.138′ W. Marker is near Laingsburg, Michigan, in Clinton County. Marker is on State Park Drive 1˝ miles north of East Price Road, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is to the right of the campground registration station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7835 East Price Road, Laingsburg MI 48848, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George D. Sowers House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid (approx. 4.7 miles away); Carriage House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Paine-Gillam-Scott House (approx. 8.9 miles away); Reference Mark for Michigan Center of Population (approx. 10.2 miles away); Haslett (approx. 13˝ miles away); Michigan Automobile Dealers Association (approx. 13.9 miles away); Michigan State Medical Society / Michigan State Medical Society Headquarters (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Sleepy Hollow State Park. (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.