Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wills Point in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brick Streets of Wills Point

 
 
Brick Streets of Wills Point Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
1. Brick Streets of Wills Point Marker
Inscription. In the early 1920s, an atmosphere of gratefulness for the end of World War I was prevalent throughout the country. In Wills Point, a sense of optimism and interest in urban development led to the formation of a chamber of commerce on December 5, 1921, at the Majestic Theater. The number one goal for the new chamber was for the city to pave the streets in the business district. The city council ordered a special election to determine whether to issue bonds to pave and gravel the streets. Even though the rain poured that day, the vote was the largest ever seen in a city election and the bond passed.

At a June 15, 1922, city council meeting, H.N. Roberts, civil engineer, and E.M. Starr accepted the contract for unloading material and curbing. Mayor Henry Gilchrist and five aldermen traveled to Mineral Wells paving brick plant to inspect the brick quality. It is believed that the bricks came from this plant. Plans called for a 4-inch concrete base covered with a layer of sand upon which the paving bricks were laid with a heavy wearing-surface of asphalt. Instead of contracting for labor to lay the brick, volunteers under an experienced supervisor saved the town hundreds of dollars. When the brick streets were completed in November 1922, two traffic cops were stationed downtown at the Rose Fountain for the first time to familiarize
Brick Streets of Wills Point Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
2. Brick Streets of Wills Point Marker Area
The brick streets described by the marker are in the photo.
the public with new traffic laws. Soon, a new ice plant, churches, electric light plant, a renovated post office and free mail service was available to Wills Point. The brick streets in Wills Point opened the door to a range of new businesses and modern conveniences in the downtown area.
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17627.)
 
Location. 32° 42.542′ N, 96° 0.474′ W. Marker is in Wills Point, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is at the intersection of East James Street and North 4th Street (Farm to Market Road 47), on the right when traveling east on East James Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wills Point TX 75169, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rose Fountain (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Locust Grove (approx. 7.4 miles away); Ables Springs (approx. 9.7 miles away); Cedarvale Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Methodist Church, 1844 (approx. 10.7 miles away); Hillcrest Cemetery (approx. 13 miles away); John H. Reagan (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wills Point.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement