Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centerville in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Boggy

 
 
Fort Boggy Marker image. Click for full size.
By photo courtesy of Lanny Ottosen
1. Fort Boggy Marker
Inscription. Pioneers who settled in this area about 1840 included members of the Middleton, Byrns, Staley, Erwin, Jones, Capp, Bloodworth, Philpott, Easton, Howell, and Hinton families. Nearby Kichai and Kickapoo Indian camps afforded these early settlers little sense of security. On February 5, 1840, Christopher C. Staley was ambushed and killed by a group of Indians while out hunting near his home. This incident led to the building of Fort Boggy for the protection and safety of the settlers.

Named for its proximity to Boggy Creek, the fort consisted of two blockhouses with eleven dwellings inside an area of about 5000 square feet. A military company, authorized by Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar, was formed under the leadership of Capt. Thomas Greer to protect the fort. According to one account, 77 people moved into the fort upon its completion. Illness proved to be a major problem for them.

In 1841, while leading a scouting party beyond the fort, Captain Greer was killed in an Indian attack. Soon after, the threat of raids lessened, and the need for Fort Boggy no longer was vital. For many years, however, a community church and school retained the name "Boggy."

As an early aid in the settlement of this area, Fort Boggy remains significant to the history of Leon County.
 
Erected
Fort Boggy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
2. Fort Boggy Marker
1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9624.)
 
Location. 31° 11.665′ N, 95° 59.64′ W. Marker is in Centerville, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is on Interstate 45, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is in a southbound rest area on I-45 about 5 miles south of Centerville, Texas, just west of Fort Boggy State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Centerville TX 75833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leon County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County (approx. 3.1 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 4 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 13.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fort Boggy - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Last updated on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement