Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Greenville Cotton Compress
Before invention of lifts and tractors all labor was done by skilled Negro workers, each man pushing a 500-pound bale and truck at a dead run, moving to relentless pace of work chants.
W. B. Wise, an expert manager of labor, was superintendent; W.T. Williams, assistant; D. M. Love, engineer. This blackland area cotton was then regarded most highly by spinners of England.
The Greenville compress is now part of a chain operated by the Farmers and Merchants Compress and Warehouse Company, with headquarters in Dallas, the Greenville superintendent in 1971 is John H. Pearson.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7796.)
Location. 33° 8.379′ N, 96° 5.932′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on Lee Street (Texas Route 302) 0.2 miles east of Houston Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1426 Lee Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. half a mile away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Hunt County (approx. half a mile away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greenville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Also see . . . Some history of the Greenville Cotton Compress. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.