Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War

1839 — 1910

 
 
Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King monument (front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King monument (front)
Inscription.
Front
Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King

Georgian. Moved to Texas 1861. Rose to rank of colonel, 18th Texas Infantry. Led regiment in Red River Campaign of 1863 to prevent split of South along Mississippi. Commanded the 18th in Red River Campaign 1864 to stop invasion of Texas. Wounded Mansfield, La. and made brigadier general. Recovered to lead Walker's Division for a time and brigades in Louisiana and East Texas. Texas adjutant general 1881-91.
A Memorial to those who served in the Confederacy


Rear
Texas in the Civil War

Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after a 3 to 1 vote for secession. 90,000 troops, famous for daring and mobility, fought on every battlefront. A 2,000 mile frontier and coastline was successfully defended from Union troops and savage Indians. State and private industry produced war goods. Cotton - life blood of South - traded thru Mexico for medicine and military supplies. Texas was storehouse of Western Confederacy. Citizens made sacrifices to produce food and clothing for Texas fighting men.
 
Erected 1963 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 7317.)
 
Marker series.
Texas in the Civil War monument (rear) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Texas in the Civil War monument (rear)
This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 33° 8.297′ N, 95° 36.044′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker can be reached from Church Street west of Loop State Highway 313. Touch for map. Located within Celebration Plaza on the lawn of the Hopkins County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Church Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkins County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); City National Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 4.2 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 7.4 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsWar, US Civil
 
Centennial marker is near middle of photo. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
3. Centennial marker is near middle of photo.
View of marker looking west into Celebration Plaza. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
4. View of marker looking west into Celebration Plaza.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement