Bowie in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized August 2, 1858
Named in honor of
Pioneer Texas surveyor
and Indian fighter
Commander of a company
in the Mexican War
Montague, County Seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 3437.)
Location. 33° 33.836′ N, 97° 51.422′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Texas, in Montague County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 81 south of Adkins Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie TX 76230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home County of Governor James V. Allred (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Bowie (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 10.4 miles away); Montague Catholic Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association on Montague County. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.