Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake Oswego in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

George Rogers House - 1929

 
 
George Rogers House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 29, 2018
1. George Rogers House Marker
Inscription. George M. Rogers purchased this lot in 1918 and lived in its existing small house until 1929, when he engaged Van Evera Bailey, a noted Portland architect, to design this unique Arts and Crafts/Mediterranean style residence. Exterior is distinguished by uncoarsed rock and brick, and the roof by typical red clay tiles. George Rogers selected the stones and bricks to be used, salvaging the bricks (used in walkways and patio) that are imprinted "GLASGOW", from the site of the Oregon Iron & steel Company furnace plant that had ceased operations in 1894.

George Rogers (1880-1961) a native of Portugal, came to the United States in the early 1900's. He settled the Oswego area in 1911 and worked briefly for Fred Morey (owner of a large estate which is now Glenmorrie), met Lottie Smoke whom he married in 1914, and in 1923 opened his first grocery store on State and B streets.

Rogers subsequently acquired the property on the NW corner of State & A on which he built the now historic Rogers Building, then the building on the NW corner of A & 1st Streets, as well as two building on the East side of 1st.

He was devoted to restoring the abandoned Oregon Iron Works property, giving his own time and money to removing debris and planting trees and shrubs in Oswego's largest city park, which the City later named "George Rogers Park". In

George Rogers House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 29, 2018
2. George Rogers House and Marker
1949 he was appointed to a vacancy on the City Council. At the end of the term he didn't campaign for reelection, nor did he ever subsequently, but was reelected to 3 successive terms and consistently won more votes than any other candidate.

George Rogers died February 15, 1961, and was interred in Sacred Heart Cemetery.
 
Erected 2005 by Oswego Heritage Council.
 
Location. 45° 24.78′ N, 122° 39.78′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilbur Street and Durham Street, on the left when traveling east on Wilbur Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron Company Worker's Cottage (a few steps from this marker); Old Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakewood School - 1928 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salamander (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oswego Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First People (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lower Oswego Creek Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
 
Categories. Notable Persons

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement