Near Edgemont in Fall River County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Cheyenne River Crossing
1876-1877 Cheyenne to Deadwood Stage Trail
In 1876 and 1877, the Cheyenne to Deadwood stagecoaches came through what would become present day Edgemont over what was known as Pollock’s Cutoff Route. The stages crossed the Cheyenne River just west of the current “Old Highway 18” railroad bridge.
A stage station, called the Cheyenne River Station, was built nearby in early 1876 by J.W. Dear. The location of the station is believed to have been just east of the current mainline tracks, in the wye of the railroad lines.
The Cheyenne River Stage Station in 1879 became the headquarters building for the Anglo American Cattle Company’s TOT Ranch, which was one of the first ranches to establish permanent headquarters in Fall River County.
The railroad went through Edgemont in 1890.
Erected 2016 by State of South Dakota. (Marker Number 705.)
Location. 43° 18.575′ N, 103° 49.58′ W. Marker is near Edgemont, South Dakota, in Fall River County. Marker is on U.S. 18 half a mile west of Cemetery Road (County Highway 185), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in small pull-out on the
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Siding 7 (here, next to this marker); Teddy Roosevelts's Visit to Edgemont (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camp Collier (approx. 3.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is facing US Highway 18, and it is placed immediately to the right of a different marker related to this same location.
Also see . . . Along the Cheyenne-Deadwood Stage Trail. (This link presents several historic photos and stories of the Cheyenne to Deadwood Stage Line.) In the Summer of 1876 several attempts were made to reach Deadwood by stage from Cheyenne but turned back due to the danger of marauding Indians following their defeat of Custer at the Little Big Horn. On Sept. 25, however, Dave Dickey brought the first stage into Deadwood. The Black Hills route lasted only 11 years. Railroads reached much of the territory served by the line in 1886. Service was, thus, discontinued with the last coach, drawn by six horses and driven by George Lathrop accompanied by John Noonan, leaving Cheyenne from in front of the Inter-Ocean Hotel on Feb. 19, 1887. (Submitted on July 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.