Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Commerce in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Incorporation of Commerce

 
 
Incorporation of Commerce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Incorporation of Commerce Marker
Inscription. The events leading up to the incorporation of the city of Commerce can be traced to the 1853 establishment of Josiah H. Jackson's general store about one and one-half miles northeast of this site. The village that developed around his store was known as Cow Hill, and it grew to be an active trading center.

In 1870 a new bridge was constructed over the South Sulphur River, and traffic was diverted away from Cow Hill. Two years later, William Jernigin, a Cow Hill businessman, moved his mercantile store to a site closer to the Sulphur Springs-Bonham Highway. The crossroads near Jernigin's store became a major commercial center, and during the 1870s, the name Commerce was given to the village that grew up here.

On Sept. 12, 1885, an election for incorporation was held, and the village residents voted in favor of the proposal. Incorporation of the city of Commerce was granted on Sept. 25th by Hunt County Judge J. S. Sherrill. Sherrill appointed W. W. Rutland as mayor, and he served until Capt. W. E. Mangum was chosen for that position in the first city election. The mayor was assisted in the city government by four aldermen. Following its incorporation, the city continued its activities as a strong Hunt County commercial center.
 
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission
Incorporation of Commerce Marker on right of photo under tree. Main Street is on the left. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Incorporation of Commerce Marker on right of photo under tree. Main Street is on the left.
. (Marker Number 7780.)
 
Location. 33° 15.031′ N, 95° 54′ W. Marker is in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Pecan Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Pecan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Pecan Street, Commerce TX 75428, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historical Stop - Downtown Commerce (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church of Commerce (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jernigin's Store (about 600 feet away); Bruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1 (about 600 feet away); Commerce Post Office (about 600 feet away); Site of Commerce Churches (approx. mile away); Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault (approx. mile away); Site of Early Commerce Schools (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on Commerce, Texas. (Submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement