Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Dorado Hills in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Mormon Tavern

Overland Pony Express Route - California

 
 
Mormon Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 30, 2005
1. Mormon Tavern Marker
Inscription. At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and on April 4, 1860, pony rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton changed horses here on the first eastbound trip.

 
Erected 1950 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the James W. Marshall Chapter No.49 E Clampus Vitus, Marguerte Parlor No.12 Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Organization April 2, 1950. (Marker Number 699.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, the Lincoln Highway, the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 39.366′ N, 121° 3.585′ W. Marker is near El Dorado Hills, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on PG&E-Clarksville Sub-Station Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. From State Hwy 50 take Latrope Road South for 0.5 mi to White Rock Road. Then NE 0.9 mi, then go W 0.3 mi on PG&E Clarksville Substation Rd to plaque, 0.5 mi West of Clarksville town site. Marker is in this post office area: El Dorado Hills CA 95762, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Mormon Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
2. Mormon Tavern Marker
The stake in front of the base is a Pony Express Trail Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasant Grove House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sterlingshire (approx. 3.8 miles away); Prairie City Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); James Skinner Winery & Distillery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Folsom Dam Improvements (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mormon Island (approx. 4.7 miles away); Du Roc House (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Prairie City Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado Hills.
 
More about this marker. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.699
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the first Eastbound journey of the Pony Express through California to Genoa, Nevada....To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. El Dorado Hills: Clarksville-Morman Tavern. (Submitted on October 4, 2008.)
2. A Brief History of Clarksville. (Submitted on October 4, 2008.)
 
Additional comments.
1. “Clarksville Days”
On May 9, 2009, the Clarksville Regional Historical Society hosted “Clarksville Days” at the site
Pony Express Trail Marker Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
3. Pony Express Trail Marker Plaque
Dedication 2003
Located: True Bearing 290 degrees and 217 feet.
Sponsored by: Bob Dinelli and Sally Faubion-Joseph L. Schroeder-Maral V. Kuechler-Jim Stretesky-Pony Express Trail Association-Joe Nardon, Historian
of Clarksville. The area, now on private property, was opened to the public. There were docents, interpretive signs, Pony Express re-enactments, Mormon Battalion cannon firings, and local historical society information booths. See Photos 7, 8,10,11,12 and 13.
    — Submitted May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesExplorationIndustry & CommerceLandmarksNotable EventsNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Northeast Side of Pony Express Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
4. Northeast Side of Pony Express Trail Marker
Pony Express
Southeast Side of Pony Express Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
5. Southeast Side of Pony Express Trail Marker
X P Trail 1860:1861
Pony Express Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
6. Pony Express Trail Marker
Northwest side (left): Station Site
Southwest side (right): Mormon Tavern
Sign Displayed During "Clarksville Days" image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
7. Sign Displayed During "Clarksville Days"
MORMON TAVERN
-1849- Built by Asael A. Lathrop, a Mormon, along the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road
-1851- Remodeled and enlarged to a 21-room hotel and saloon with a 100 ft. long dining room. Usually filled with teamsters - to and from the gold mines. Franklin Winchell, Operator.
-1860- Becomes Pony Express Remount Station. April 4, 1860 William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses on the first Pony Express ride eastward.
-1867- Purchased by C.P. Winchell, Known as "Old Mormon Tavern".
-1876- Remodeled again by new owner, Joseph Joerger, father of 9 children: A master bedroom and 10 small bedrooms.
-1913- The Joergers moved out to Oakland. It fell into disrepair...
-1960s- Named California Registered Historical Landmark #699. Unfortunately, torn down, to construct Highway 50.
Mormon Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
8. Mormon Tavern
Close-Up of photo on interpretive sign on display during "Clarksville Days".
Clarksville Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 12, 2008
9. Clarksville Cemetery
The cemetery sits on the top of the hill above the marker.
United (Clarksville) School Site image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
10. United (Clarksville) School Site
On this site stood United School. The original flagpole is in the center of the photo next to what remains of the woodshed. At the far left of the photo is the pole used for the rope swing. After the school closed the building was moved about 100 yards up the road and converted to a barn.
The school was heated by a stove and water was supplied by bucket. The site had two outhouses – one for boys and one for girls.
The Tong Ranch Barn image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
11. The Tong Ranch Barn
The center of this building was the original schoolhouse. Stalls were added on three sides of the building.
Wells Fargo Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
12. Wells Fargo Building
Wells Fargo & Co. operated in this stone building dating back to the 1850's. In 1860 the agent was J.Y. Gridley. After the railroad was built to Latrope, Clarksville's Wells Fargo shut down. The stage was discontinued and the bank business was sent to Folsom.
Lincoln Highway image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 9, 2009
13. Lincoln Highway
This section of the old Lincoln Highway runs through the old Clarksville town site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,161 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 4, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7, 8. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   9. submitted on October 12, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on May 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement