Trade & Transit Centre Site History
Once a wheat field and popular slope for sledding, this site has long been central to the economic growth of the City of Williamsport. The portion of the L.L. Stearns & Sons department store that occupied the corner of Pine and Third Streets was originally a large, private residence built by J. Cowden. This house was purchased by the West Branch Bank in 1850, which in 1860 raised the height of the building from two and a half stories to four stories. The building was then converted into the Parker Hotel, which in 1866 became the City Hotel. L.L. Stearns & Sons purchased the City Hotel in 1888, and a small addition was constructed along Third Street in 1904. In 1925, the department store expanded again with the purchased [sic] of the West Branch National Bank building, which had been constructed in 1850 at the same time the Bank bought the J. Cowden residence. Later, an L-shaped property further along Third Street was purchased and an addition was constructed. The picture at right shows the front of the buildings facing Pine Street until 1965, when a new store front was installed.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L.L. Stearns & Sons History (a few steps from this marker); Downtown on the Move (a few steps from this marker); Architectural Artifacts (within shouting distance of this marker); Transportation Tribute (within shouting distance of this marker); Symbols Of Our Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Woapalanne (within shouting distance of this marker); Lycoming County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wilcox (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . L.L. Stearns & Sons Postcard. (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Trade & Transit Centre Site History.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.