Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Engine House Number One / Neptune Engine No. 1
(Engine House Number One – marker side 1)
Toledo's first fire station was built in November 1837 one city block due north of this site at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Eagle Lane at 519 Cherry on what is now the driveway for the Goodwill Industries Building. It was a small non-descript, wooden building, built by contractors Hoisington and Manning for $78. It was replaced by a two-story brick building with tin-clad window sills and trim in December 1854. With fire trucks becoming larger and heavier, it was necessary to construct a new building in 1872 at a cost of $7000. Designated Station No. 2, it remained in service until 1953 when the new headquarters station at Huron and Orange streets was dedicated. It disappeared for good during the Urban Renewal projects of the late 1950s and 1960s.
(Neptune Engine No.1 – marker side 2)
Toledo's first fire engine was hand pulled and hand pumped. Built in New York City by James Smith in 1837 and shipped here by way of the Erie Canal, it was used until after the Civil War when a horse-drawn steam pumper replaced it. Neptune No. 1 can be seen at the Toledo Firefighters Museum at 918 Sylvania Avenue. Matt Hertzfeld took the photograph of the Neptune on this marker.
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Toledo Firefighters Museum and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 36-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 39.347′ N, 83° 31.992′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Orange Street south of North Huron Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in Chub DeWolfe Park, near the south apex of the park at the intersection of Orange and Huron streets. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43660, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Toledo (about 600 feet away); Spanish American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Savings Stamps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lucas County (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lucas County (approx. ¼ mile away); Toledo’s Canals (approx. ¼ mile away); William McKinley Monument (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Also see . . . History of Toledo's Firefighters. The fire engine of Neptune Fire Engine & Hose Co. No. 1 was built by James Smith of New York City. It was sold during the Civil War to the Village of Wauseon, as Neptune No. 1 had received the new Silsby steam engine. In 1935 it was donated by the Mayor and Council of the Village of Wauseon to the Toledo Relief Association. It was housed at the Toledo Zoo for years, falling into grave condition, and was finally removed and completely reconditioned by members of the Toledo Fire Division. It is now restored and kept at the No. 3 Fire Station at Bush and Erie Streets. (Submitted on August 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.