Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Simons Island

 
 
St. Simons Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. St. Simons Island Marker
Inscription. From March 9 - May 12, 1738, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leaders of the colony of Georgia, visited Charles in April 1736, preaching in the storehouse. Charles returned to England. John ministered to the Fredericans in four trips before leaving "with utter despair of doing good there" on January 26, 1737.
After John`s return to England, in May 1738 the brothers had "heart warming experiences" and later founded the Methodist movement.
 
Erected 1993 by General Conference, The Methodist Church 1960.
 
Location. 31° 13.338′ N, 81° 23.202′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Touch for map. Opposite Fort Frederica entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Block Mimosa Dr, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Georgia Navy (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (a few steps from this marker); Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden (within shouting distance of
St. Simons Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. St. Simons Island Marker
this marker); Frederica - Military Road (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederica - Old Burial Ground (about 800 feet away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Strong Walls From Refuse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wesley Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Simons Island, Wikipedia entry. St. Simons Island is one of Georgia's renowned Golden Isles Saint Simons' next military contribution was due to the Naval Act of 1794, when timber harvested from two thousand Southern live oak trees from Gascoigne Bluff was used to build the USS Constitution and five other frigates (see Six original United States frigates). The USS Constitution is known as "Old Ironsides" for the way the cannonballs bounced off the hard live oak planking. (Submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. History - St. Simons Island. (Submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. St. Simons Island, Georgia - Historic Sites and Landmarks. History and Stunning Scenery (Submitted on May 9, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement