Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park

 
 
Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park Marker
Inscription.  Mississippi native and Goliad County Judge James Arthur White (1878-1953) possessed a fervent interest in Texas history, notably that of his adopted city of Goliad. He began in 1928 to organize support for a state park to protect Goliad's many significant historic sites. Judge White drafted a bill in 1931 to create the park and a state-funded bridge and highway (later U.S. 183).

Despite the bleak financial prospects of the Depression era, Judge White secured funding and labor from the Federal Civil Works Administration in 1933. When funds were expended by 1934, White applied to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) program. Preliminary study of the site began in March 1935. Forty cottages, each to house six men, were constructed in May. The first CCC enrollees to arrive were veterans of the Spanish American War, the Boxer Rebellion in China and World war I. They had their own newspaper, The Goliad Veteran, and their evening schedules included an extensive educational program. Historians and architects traveled the U.S. and Mexico researching Spanish colonial mission architecture. Supervised by National Park Service architects
Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park Marker Area
and local craftsmen, the CCC workers ultimately reconstructed a school-workshop, church and granary at Mission Espiritu Santo and also erected maintenance and shop buildings, a latrine, custodian's lodge, museum and administration building and developed a state park road and picnic facilities.

Judge White served on the Texas Centennial Commission, and through his influence Goliad received $100,000 in state and federal funds for Memorial Auditorium (1937) and a burial monument for Col. J. W. Fannin and his men (1939). The CCC camp was closed by June 1941 due to the threat of World War II.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11898.)
 
Location. 28° 39.489′ N, 97° 23.125′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street (U.S. 183) and Auditorium Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Mission Nuestra Seora del Espiritu Santo de Ziga (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De Zuniga (about 700 feet away); Aranama College (about 800 feet
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
away); Cattle Drive from La Bahia (about 800 feet away); Goliad Memorial Auditorium (about 800 feet away); Don Rafael Antonio Manchola (approx. 0.6 miles away); Regulators of Goliad County (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Mason Brewer (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
 
Also see . . .  Goliad State Park & Historic Site. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (Submitted on August 19, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkParks & Recreational Areas
 

More. Search the internet for Judge James Arthur White and the Civilian Conservation Corps at Goliad State Park.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement