The Miami Canal
The dimensions of the canal channel were 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet wide at the top. The depth of the canal averaged four and one-half feet. The 12 locks were 80 feet long with 14-foot wide interior chambers which could accommodate boats up to 80 tons. The canal from Middletown to Cincinnati was 42 miles, cost about $10,400 per mile to build, and had a speed limit of four miles per hour.
Construction began in 1825 on the 20-mile segment of the Miami Canal from two miles north of Middletown to the head of Mill Creek. Canal boats were operating from Hartwell's Basin near Cincinnati to Middletown by Nov. 28, 1827. This early link in what became the Miami and Erie Canal joining in 1845 Toledo and Cincinnati by water was restored in 1971 by the Butler County Park district.
Erected 1971 by The Butler County Park District, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 25.295′ N, 84° 30.091′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Touch for map. Marker is in Rentschler Forest MetroPark near the Old
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamilton Civil War Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Amish Mennonite Settlement (approx. 2.6 miles away); Woodsdale (approx. 2.6 miles away); Chrisholm (approx. 2.6 miles away); Warren Gard (approx. 2.8 miles away); Busenbark / Dr. Charles F. Richter (approx. 3.2 miles away); Beckett Homesite (approx. 3.2 miles away); Champion Hamilton Mill (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.