Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Houston Cemetery Company

 
 
Houston Cemetery Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, September 3, 2018
1. Houston Cemetery Company Marker
Inscription. The Houston Cemetery Company was one of several chartered and private associations promoted by Houston business leaders for the purpose of effecting civic, cultural and economic improvements following the Civil War. Houston Cemetery Company was chartered as a private cemetery company by the State of Texas on May 12, 1871, and the company set out to establish a rural cemetery with beauty and integrity. Several names for the new cemetery were considered, but stockholders and directors finally chose by ballot the name “Glenwood.” The first burial at Glenwood Cemetery occurred on June 19, 1872.

Glenwood Cemetery is an early Texas example of the country cemetery plan first used in the eastern and northern United States in the 1830s. Directors selected property situated between Buffalo Bayou and Washington Avenue interspersed with springs and gullies to achieve the desired pastoral setting. The intended park-like landscape design is reflected in the rambling walks and drives that follow the curvilinear sections situated around a wooded glen and a bridge over a spring-fed gully. The beautiful setting drew Houstonians to Glenwood Cemetery as a place of relaxation and recreation prior to the 1899 establishment of Houstonís first public park, Sam Houston Park.

The Houston Cemetery Company reorganized as the Glenwood
Houston Cemetery Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, September 3, 2018
2. Houston Cemetery Company Marker
Cemetery Association in 1904, and the Association was succeeded by Glenwood Cemetery, Inc., in 1969. The Glenwood Cemetery Historic Preservation foundation was formed in 1999 to preserve the historic heritage of the monuments and grounds of this important Houston landmark.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15714.)
 
Location. 29° 46.104′ N, 95° 23.177′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Custus Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2525 Washington Avenue, Houston TX 77007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caspar Braun (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eugene Thomas Heiner (about 700 feet away); James Robert Cade (about 800 feet away); Darius Gregg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belle Sherman Kendall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anson Jones (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Gammell (approx. 0.2 miles away); James S. and Alfred T. Lucas (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement