Sperryville in Rappahannock County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Piney River Technical Building
The "technical" building housed the offices of the architects and engineers who developed plans for the many projects the "CCC Boys" undertook in Shenandoah. After the CCC was demobilized in 1942, most of the structures, meant to be temporary, were removed. However, the National Park Service retained this building and until 2006 it was used for our maintenance operation. As you can see, the building, while still structurally sound, has fallen into sad disrepair.
Our vision is to restore this building to its original appearance and create a place where visitors can learn the wonderful history and compelling legacy of the CCC at Shenandoah. We are working with the National Park Foundation (NPF) to raise funds for the restoration as part of NPF's Centennial Capital Campaign.
For further information about the project, or find out how
Erected by Shenandoah National Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 38° 45.039′ N, 78° 17.648′ W. Marker is in Sperryville, Virginia, in Rappahannock County. Marker is on Piney River Area Road 0.1 miles west of Skyline Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Piney River Area Road and this marker are located at mile 22.1 on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. This marker is near the trailhead and parking lot for Shenandoah's Piney Branch Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Sperryville VA 22740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Range View (was approx. 3.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); A Skyline Drive for a Bird's-Eye View (approx. 3.7 miles away); Come Back When You Have More Time (approx. 3.7 miles away); Warren County / Page County (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Historic Page Valley (approx. 4.8 miles away); Battle of Milford (approx. 4.8 miles away); Overall Bridge (approx. 4.8 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque, mounted horizontally on waist-high posts. This marker is somewhat weathered and faded, particularly the historic photo of the Piney River Technical Building featured at the center.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. CCC Camp NP-12 (Camp Red Bird)
Also see . . . CCC Work in Virginia: Shenandoah National Park. The first 2 CCC camps in the nation supervised by the National Park Service were NP-1 at Skyland, and NP-2 at Big Meadows. These camps opened May 15, 1933. Eleven camps with over 10,000 'CCC boys' returned the farmed areas to its natural look and they built trails, fire roads, most of the scenic overlooks, picnic areas, comfort stations, and other structures. By the end of 1934, a sawmill, a shingle mill, a blacksmith shop, and a sign shop were built to produce materials needed to construct the park buildings. Nurseries were set up at Front Royal and Big Meadows to grow the trees and shrubs that would be used to revegetate areas. The boys planted more than 100,000 trees and shrubs. President Roosevelt visited the park during August of 1933. (Submitted on September 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas •
More. Search the internet for Help Wanted!.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.