Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Stone Church And Catoosa Station

Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail

 
 
Stone Church And Catoosa Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
1. Stone Church And Catoosa Station Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1837, the Chickamauga Presbyterian Church, commonly call "The Old Stone Church," was a landmark in the Ringgold area at the time of the war.

The coming of the Western and Atlantic Railroad and the construction of an impressive stone depot in 1849 had a great influence on the growing economy of Ringgold and the surrounding area. A second station or platform was constructed just south of the gap named "Catoosa Station," to serve the nearby summer resorts of Catoosa Springs and Cherokee Springs.

In September, 1863, elements of General Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry patrolled Ringgold. On September 11, 1863 Federal forces from Van Cleve's Division of the 21st Army Corps of the Army of the Cumberland invaded Ringgold from the west. At the same time, Colonel John T. Wilders mounted Infantry Brigade invaded from the north. They were pushed back by Forrest, who also had the railroad bridge over the creek at Ringgold Gap destroyed. Because the railroad bridge was burned, the trains coming to Ringgold could get no further than Catoosa Station, south of the gap.

On September 17th, the Federals again came to Ringgold. This time, however, they received a surprise for the Confederates had received massive reinforcements. The commander of the U.S. Army Reserve Corps, General Gordon Granger, wrote:" At
Stone Church And Catoosa Station Map image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
2. Stone Church And Catoosa Station Map
3 o'clock on the morning of the 17th General Steedman started from his camp at Rossville with six regiments of infantry and a battery of artillery for the purpose of making a reconnaissance in the direction of Ringgold. In this undertaking, he met not resistance from the enemy until within two miles of that place."

Steedman, as Van Cleve had earlier, met pickets from Forrests cavalry who were still guarding the road at Ringgold. After a brief exchange of fire, the Confederates withdrew to Ringgold. Steedmans troops followed, and as soon as they got over the creek they placed their artillery on the same hill that Van Cleves gunners had used earlier. They fired a number of shells into Ringgold, causing a lengthy Confederate Army wagon train to retire in confusion through the gap.

The cannon fire alerted Confederate infantry regiments that were in camp in the southeastern end of the gap. Unknown to the Federals, massive reinforcements for Bragg's army had been coming by train from Virginia and Mississippi. The cannon fire brought an instant Confederate attack through the gap against the invaders. This movement, Lieutenant Colonel R. B. Snowden, commanding the 27th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, later wrote, "caused the enemy to open fire with his artillery. The advance of our skirmishers and some fifteen minutes of shelling from our battery caused the enemy to
Longstreet Catoosa Station image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
3. Longstreet Catoosa Station
Drawing of Longstreet at Catoosa Station
retire to the Chattanooga road."

During the next two days there were thousands of Confederate soldiers passing through Ringgold coming from Catoosa Station, they passed through the gap, through Ringgold and continued on the fight in the greaat Battle of Chickamauga.
 
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
 
Location. 34° 54.379′ N, 85° 4.64′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Chattanooga Road (Route 41) and Catoosa Parkway, on the right when traveling north on Chattanooga Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Church (here, next to this marker); Trail of Tears Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Federal Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee Springs Confederate Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles
General Longstreet image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
4. General Longstreet
away); Catoosa Springs Confederate Hospitals (approx. 1.4 miles away); Confederate General Patrick Cleburne's Emancipation Proposal (approx. 1.5 miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne Memorial (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
 
More about this marker. Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail, Army of Tennessee site #16
 
Also see . . .  The official Chickamauga Campaign Trail Website. (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
Stone Church And Catoosa Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
5. Stone Church And Catoosa Station Marker
Stone Church And Catoosa Station image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
6. Stone Church And Catoosa Station
Stone Church And Catoosa Station Rear View image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
7. Stone Church And Catoosa Station Rear View
Stone Church Looking Towards The Entrance image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
8. Stone Church Looking Towards The Entrance
Stone Church Pulpit image. Click for full size.
By David Tibbs, September 28, 2008
9. Stone Church Pulpit
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,389 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 1, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement