Orinda in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The deLaveaga Station
Landmarking Orinda's History
Did you know that Orinda once had a railroad?
This building is the only remaining station of the California & Nevada Railroad. The C&N, a narrow gauge line constructed in 1890, ran 23 miles between Emeryville and Orinda hauling farm produce and passengers. The first train steamed into Orinda in 1891. For several years, trainloads of picnickers made this community a Sunday destination. Investors had big plans for this little railroad; it was originally intended to run from Emeryville via Sonora Pass to Bodie and on to Colorado for connection with the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Financial difficulties; a lack of patronage, and winter floods dashed these plans and the railroad ceased operation in 1904.
Location. 37° 52.797′ N, 122° 10.887′ W. Marker is in Orinda, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Davis Road and Bryant Way, on the left when traveling east on Davis Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orinda CA 94563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bryant Station Site (about 400 feet away, The Pony Express (about 800 feet away); Tres Ranchos Del Sur (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kennedy Tunnel (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lafayette House (approx. 3½ miles away); Lafayette Town Hall (approx. 3½ miles away); The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron (approx. 3½ miles away); Dedicated to the Pony Express (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orinda.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.