Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tevfikiye in Çanakkale Merkez, Çanakkale, Turkey
 

The East Wall

 
 
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
1. The East Wall Marker
Inscription.
English Text:

You are now standing on the remains of the outer wall of the Greek and Roman temple precinct from the period of Troia VIII/IX (third century BCE - c. CE 500). In front of you lie the fortifications of Troia/Ilios. You will recognize the East Tower, the East Wall (with its gate), and behind them the palaces - all of the Troia VI period (c.1700-1250 BCE). On the fortification-wall you can see the remains of Troia VII houses. Troia VI was probably destroyed c. 1250 BCE by an earthquake, Troia VIIa and VIIb by fire.

Behind you lay the lower town of Greek and Roman Ilion. To the north are the Dardanelles, and the plain of the Kara Menderes (the ancient Scamander) extends to the west. To the southeast you can see on a clear day the peaks of the Kaz Daglari (the Ida Mountains); to the southwest, one of the burial-mounds (Üvecik Tepe) and the harbour/bay on the Aegean coast (Besik Bay), visible as a depression, with the islands of Bozcaada (Tenedos) in the distance.

The East Wall and Gate
The total circumference of the fortification-wall around the citadel amounts to 550 meters, of which approximately 330 are still preserved.

The section in front of you displays a highly refined technique of construction, with careful working of the rectangular limestone blocks.
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
2. The East Wall Marker
A close-up view of an illustration, that is displayed on this marker, showing what the East Wall and the East Tower must have looked like during the time of Troia (Troy) VI.
This wall is subdivided by vertical offsets placed at regular intervals. These continued the lines of the corners of the timber-framed superstructure which probably once stood on the wall, so providing (as it were) a visual, foundation. The slightly inward-sloping substructure of the wall is 6 metres high and 4.5-5 metres thick. The superstructure, no longer preserved, reached up a further 3-4 metres. Besides timber beams, this was initially built of sundried mudbrick, but in time the whole superstructure was replaced by a narrow stone wall. Two overlapping sections of wall constitute the entrance to the citadel. Already in the Hellenistic period, the eastern wall of this gateway was deeply cut into by the retaining and foundation wall of the temple precinct.

The East Tower
This massive tower, built outside the wall only in a late phase of Troia VI, is very carefully worked. It is eleven metres wide and projects eight metres from the face of the wall. Its eastern wall is three metres thick. The tower consisted of two storeys, with a wooden floor in between. Access to the tower was only possible at the second-storey level.

The Palaces
Palaces VIE and VIF each have only one interior room, of 64 and 98 square metres respectively. Their outer walls are one metre thick and are oriented radially towards a point at the center of the citadel,
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
3. The East Wall Marker
A close-up view of an aerial photograph, that is displayed on this marker, showing the ruins of the East Wall, the East Tower, and the nearby Palaces VIE and VIF.
producing buildings that are trapezoidal in plan. Within the west wall of Palace VIF are recesses which once held wooden beams. On the floor are stone bases for pillars. The room had two entrances. The retaining-wall of VIF displays an advanced technique of construction which dates it to the end of the Troia VI period (c.1400-1250 BCE).
This wall, too, exhibits the "offset" technique. Buildings VIE and VIF were separated by a ..ageway approximately one metre wide.
 
Erected by The Ministry of Culture of the Republik of Turkey, and the Daimler-Benz AG. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Location. 39° 57.423′ N, 26° 14.373′ E. Marker is near Tevfikiye, Çanakkale, in Çanakkale Merkez. Marker can be reached from Tevfikiye Yolu just west of Izmir Çanakkale Yolu (Route E87) when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located on the grounds of a world famous Archaeological Park, along the walking tour route through the archaeological ruins. Marker is in this post office area: Tevfikiye, Çanakkale 17100, Turkey.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pithos Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); The Northern Bastion (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line).
 
More about this marker.
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
4. The East Wall Marker
A close-up view of a map of ancient Troia (Troy) illustration, that is displayed on this marker, showing the various strata elements of the ruins, with the features being discussed by the marker being highlighted.
The present day Archaeological Site of Troy, where this marker is located, has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Centre site.

The timeline at the top of this marker indicates that the information discussed in this marker's text features site ruins from the period of Troia (Troy) VI, which spanned 1700-1250 BC.
 
Also see . . .
1. Archaeological Site of Troy - UNESCO World Heritage Centre. This is a link to additional on-line information regarding this site. (Submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

2. Troy - Wikipedia. This is a link to additional on-line information regarding this site. (Submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

3. Archaeological Site of Troy, Unesco | Go Turkey Tourism. This is a link to additional on-line information regarding this site. (Submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 

4. Troy | Turkish Archaeological News. This is a link to additional on-line information regarding this site. (Submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers
 
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
5. The East Wall Marker
View of the marker, looking east, as seen when walking up to it from the beginning of the archaeological park tour.
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
6. The East Wall Marker
View, looking east, of the marker with the ruins of the East Wall in the background.
The East Tower image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
7. The East Tower
View of the East Tower that is discussed in the text of this marker.
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
8. The East Wall Marker
View, looking north along the pathway going away from the marker, looking north along the length of the east wall.
The East Wall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 18, 2018
9. The East Wall Marker
View of a narrow entrance way, between overlapping sections of the east wall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   4. submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   5, 6, 7. submitted on September 12, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   8, 9. submitted on September 13, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement