Spring Place in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Southward from this spot stood this famous mission, founded in 1801 by Moravian Brethren from Salem, N.C.
The first school among the Cherokees, this mission continued until 1833, and added much to their remarkable advancement.
Here were taught many leaders of the Cherokee Nation. One was Elias Boudinot, later editor of the "The Cherokee Phoenix."
The work begun here was not abandoned with the forced removal of the Cherokees, but was transferred to New Springplace, in Oklahoma.
Erected 1953. (Marker Number 105-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 45.675′ N, 84° 48.949′ W. Marker is in Spring Place, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is at the intersection of Route 52 and Ellijay St., on the right when traveling east on Route 52. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Federal Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Howard Payne (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chief Vann House Murray County (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Mystery Shrouds Fort Mountain (approx. 6.2 miles away); Legends of Fort Mountain (approx. 6.2 miles away); Fort Mountain State Park (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
2. Elias Boudinot (ca. 1804-1839). (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
3. Cherokee Phoenix. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 942 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.