Near Springfield in Robertson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Tennessee / Kentucky
Established 1796: named in honor of
Leader in establishment of the Watauga Settlement in East Tennessee. In 1778, explored the Cumberland country; in 1779 led an expedition to found Nashborough, which later became Nashville. He is known as "The Father of Middle Tennessee".
An Iroquois word meaning Meadow Land. It was visited by Indian tribes from as far west as the Rocky Mountains before 1750. The first white settlement was at Harrodsburg in 1774. Kentucky was the second district west of the Alleghenies to be settled and the first (1792) to become a state.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3C 25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 38.43′ N, 86° 51.3′ W. Marker is near Springfield, Tennessee, in Robertson County. Marker is on Tennessee Route 49 half a mile south of State Line Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the Historic Peach
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dromgoole's Station (approx. 1˝ miles away in Kentucky); Jackson-Dickinson Duel (approx. 1.9 miles away in Kentucky); Boyhood Home, 1793-1802 (approx. 2 miles away in Kentucky); Red River Meeting House (approx. 4.3 miles away in Kentucky); Springfield (approx. 9.2 miles away); Springfield Historic District (approx. 9.2 miles away); First United Presbyterian Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Categories. • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.