Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Warren House
During the War Between the States, on this property to the north and west of this house was fought a major part of the Battle of Jonesboro, August 31st and September 1st,1864. The battle was a struggle to capture the railroad to cut off supplies to Atlanta from the south. This house, used as headquarters and a hospital during the battle by the 52nd Illinois Regiment, was built by G.L. Warren in 1840. For many years, a bullet lodged in the wall and cannonballs in the yard were evidence of the proximity of heavy fighting.
Erected 1955. (Marker Number 031-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 31.967′ N, 84° 21.2′ W. Marker is in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Jonesboro Road (Route 54) and West Mimosa Drive, on the left when traveling north on Jonesboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day (about 500 feet away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Attack by Lee's Corps (approx. 0.4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Johnson-Blalock House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
Also see . . . The Atlanta Campaign A Virtual Tour. (Submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,923 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 3. submitted on April 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on October 11, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.