Golden Pond in Trigg County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
St. Joseph's Parish
Erected 1967 by the Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1100.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 36° 47.152′ N, 88° 1.457′ W. Marker is in Golden Pond, Kentucky, in Trigg County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 68 and County Road 160, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 68. Touch for map. Located at a northside pullout. Marker is in this post office area: Cadiz KY 42211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Golden Pond (here, next to this marker); Civil War Sniper (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jackson Purchase (approx. 6 miles away); Cherokee State Park (approx. First Court of Trigg County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Great Western Furnace (approx. 10.4 miles away in Tennessee); Site of Burnett Home (approx. 11.4 miles away); County Named, 1820 (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Regarding St. Joseph's Parish. The First Catholic Church in Trigg County was St. Joseph Church built by German Catholics who migrated from Pennsylvania in 1872. In the area of Golden Pond, St. Joseph flourished as long as the iron mines produced. By 1910, the iron mines gave out and by 1925 St. Joseph church was closed. Several items from that first church are displayed in the sacristy of the St. Stephen Catholic Church southwest of Cadiz.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.