Charles “Chalou” Trepagnier Building
This building built in 1868 served as the Ascension parish Courthouse and jail. On June 1, 2017, the Ascension Parish Council officially changed the name to Charles "Chalou" Trepagnier Building in honor of his 51 years as a law enforcer.
Born to cariogero Trapani from Salaparta, Sicily, and Virginia Cantella from Gibellina, Sicily, on March 12, 1906. At his baptism the priest misspelled his name Carlogero Trapani to Charles Trepagnier and this became his Americanized name. Chalou and his siblings Phillip, Joe, Frank, Victor, Virginia, Mary and Margret worked hard on their dad's farm and in his grocery store on Front Street in Donaldsonville. At the age of 18 Chalou became deputy and jailer and lived in the jail. He married Mary Falsetta and they had four children Virgie, Charles III, Anthony and Rosemary. His exploits in the line of deputy and chief of police are legendary, He died September 14, 1985.
Mr. Chalou respected everyone and everyone respected him.
Location. 30° 6.292′ N, 90° 59.446′ W. Marker is in Donaldsonville, Louisiana, in Ascension Parish. Marker is on Chetimatches Street north of Opelousas Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Donaldsonville LA 70346, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
More about this marker. Mounted on the wall of the old Ascension Parish jail building.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2018.