Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marine City in Saint Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Marine City

 
 
Marine City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 23, 2018
1. Marine City Marker
Inscription. Built in 1884 at a cost of $12,300, this edifice has served continuously as the seat of local government. Marine City was incorporated as the village of Marine in 1865. It became Marine City in 1867. The first village president was David Lester, a prominent shipbuilder. Shipbuilding was the principal industry for about a half century, employing several hundred men. During the era of wooden ships, this city was one of the largest shipbuilding centers in the Great Lakes area, with an output of nearly 250 vessels by 1900. The discovery of salt on Catholic Point in 1882 proved to be another prosperous business with major salt companies springing up as a result of this important find.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L461.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 43.208′ N, 82° 29.531′ W. Marker is in Marine City, Michigan, in Saint Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Broadway Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Broadway Street, Marine City MI 48039, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Marine City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 23, 2018
2. Marine City Marker
View from Broadway and Main.
8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heritage Square Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Pêche Island Rear Range Light (approx. ¼ mile away); Newport Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away); David and Laura Lester House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holy Cross Parish (approx. half a mile away); East China Fractional School District No. 2 School (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Clair River Habitat Restoration (approx. 4½ miles away); a different marker also named St. Clair River Habitat Restoration (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine City.
 
Also see . . .  Friends of City Hall. Website "Dedicated to the restoration, preservation and promotion of the Marine City Historic City Hall". Includes A Brief History of City Hall by Heather Bokram (PDF). (Submitted on September 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Marine City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 23, 2018
3. Marine City Marker
View from Pearl and Main.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement