St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel
HERE WE HAVE BUILT A MEMORIAL
Lovely Lane Chapel
Built by Norman W. Dodge in 1880 and named St. James Union Church, the chapel is now the oldest church building on St. Simons Island. Repaired following a hurricane in 1897, deconsecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated after the Methodists purchased the property in 1949. Restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur J. Moore, the chapel is now a favorite place for worship, weddings, baptisms and prayer. The magnificent stained glass windows are irreplaceable pieces of Old English Art Glass. The Methodists renamed
PROVIDING AN ATMOSPHERE OF THE NEARNESS OF GOD
Erected by South Georgia Conference of The Methodist Church.
Location. 31° 10.305′ N, 81° 24.381′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Arthur J. Moore Drive 0.2 miles north of Hamilton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Arthur J. Moore Drive, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (within shouting distance of this marker); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Lovely Lane Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cassina Garden Club Houses (about 400 feet away); Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Gascoigne Bluff (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Glynn County, Ga. John Wesley, In 1736 the 33-year-old (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,513 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.