Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Germantown in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Germantown Bank

 
 
The Germantown Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, November 24, 2018
1. The Germantown Bank Marker
Inscription.  The Germantown Bank was built in 1922 and was established by Augustus R. Selby, part-owner and manager of the Liberty Milling Company, and Andrew H. Baker, local entrepreneur and head of the A. H. Baker Insurance Company of Washington. Selby was also vice-president of the First National Bank of Gaithersburg, and chairman of the Board of Citizens Building and Loan Association. In 1948 he was elected to the first Montgomery County Council when the County adopted the charter form of government. August Selby and Andrew Baker each owned residences across Rt. 118 from the bank in Germantown. Both of their houses were destroyed by fire in the late 1970's.

The bank was created for the convenience of Germantown residents and mill workers. Augustus Selby served as its president until 1958, when it merged with 1st National Bank of Gaithersburg to become chartered as Maryland State Bank of Montgomery County. The manager of this bank was for many years Mrs. Carrie Greene, sister of Carlton Browning, the local postman.

On October 30, 1960 the bank merged with Suburban Trust (later Suburban Bank) and in 1966 Lewis Wood came to manage the
The Germantown Bank image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, November 24, 2018
2. The Germantown Bank
The building currently houses the Germantown Historical Society.
bank. In the spring of 1983 Suburban Bank moved to its new building at the corner of Germantown Road and Middlebrook Road and two years later merged with Sovran Bank. The old bank building was then given to the County and was used for a time as a waiting room for the commuter train.

The Germantown Bank gives the impression of solidity and compactness so typical of bank buildings of this time in small towns across America. It is constructed of brick painted white with barred windows and door and the entrance is flanked by columns.
 
Location. 39° 10.397′ N, 77° 16.285′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mateny Hill Road west of Blunt Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19330 Mateny Hill Road, Germantown MD 20874, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Mill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reflections of Old Germantown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Railway Bed (approx. half a mile away); The Musser Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grusendorf Log House (approx. 1.9 miles away); To Honor the Memory of George A, (Jay) Chadwick Jr.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Black Hill Gold Mine (approx. 1.9 miles away); Waters' Mill (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
 
Categories. Industry & CommercePoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsWomen
 

More. Search the internet for The Germantown Bank.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement