Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warrenton in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warrenton

 
 
Warrenton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
1. Warrenton Marker
With a side view of the John Marshall Monument.
Inscription. The first court house for Fauquier County was built in 1760 on two acres of land belonging to Richard Henry Lee. The settlement that sprang up in its vicinity was first known as Fauquier Court House and under that name was laid off as a town to contain eight acres, in a survey made by James Routt, Dec. 4, 1790.
Reverse side:
The court house settlement was established as a municipality under the name of Warrenton, Jan. 5, 1810, and a survey was made May 8, 1811, by which seventy-one acres wre included in the town limits. Warrenton was incorporated by act of assembly. Jan. 16, 1816.
 
Erected by Fauquier Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 42.819′ N, 77° 47.723′ W. Marker is in Warrenton, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 15) and Court Street, on the right on Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the front courtyard of what is now the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court. Marker is in this post office area: Warrenton VA 20188, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Singleton Mosby (within shouting distance of this marker); Lafayette’s Stepping Stone (within shouting
Warrenton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, January 18, 2008
2. Warrenton Marker
distance of this marker); a different marker also named Warrenton (within shouting distance of this marker); Executions in the Yard (within shouting distance of this marker); Norris Tavern / The Warren Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brentmoor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black Horse Cavalry (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warrenton.
 
More about this marker. Monuments to John C. Marshall and the World War II Veterans of Fauquier County are next to the marker. The Old Court House itself is across Court Street from the marker.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
The Fauquier County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 16, 2007
3. The Fauquier County Court House
John Marshall Monument image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
4. John Marshall Monument
The rather imposing statue of John Marshall greets those who enter the present day Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. The base reads “John Marshall 1755–1835 Chief Justice 1801–1835.” “Frontiersman Soldier Lawyer” “Statesman Diplomat Jurist”.
John Marshall image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
5. John Marshall
1958 bronze by sculptor Bryant Baker.
World War II Memorial on the Courthouse Grounds image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
6. World War II Memorial on the Courthouse Grounds
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,366 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on November 23, 2013, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement