Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Auburn Avenue Branch, Carnegie Library
In the 1930s, Annie McPheeters became head of the branch and worked to acquire material by and about African-Americans. The Auburn Avenue Collection served as the basis for the West Hunter Street Branch, and the Black Studies Collection at the downtown branch, later renamed the Samuel Williams Collection. The same collection serves as the core of the Auburn Avenue Research Library, located at the western end of Auburn.
The Sweet Auburn Historic Interpretive Program developed by:
Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta
Digging It Up
Jones Worley Design, Inc. Graphic Designers
Erected by Sweet Auburn Historic Interpretive Program, Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta, and African-American Research and Consulting Firm, Inc. (Marker Number F13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 33° 45.327′ N, 84° 22.608′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Auburn Avenue NE and Hilliard Street NE, on the right when traveling east on Auburn Avenue NE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Auburn Avenue NE, Atlanta GA 30312, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Eternal Flame (approx. 0.2 miles away); Building Together for Youth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Freedom Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Fire Station No. 6 (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . .
1. Auburn Avenue Research Library on African American Culture and History. Decades before the Auburn Avenue Research Library opened, its core collection was formed at the Auburn Branch of the Carnegie Library of Atlanta. The one-story red-brick building, located at 333 Auburn Avenue, officially opened July 25, 1921, becoming Atlanta's first public library branch for African Americans. Before then, black citizens were excluded under the era's Jim Crow laws from public library service in the city, which began in 1902. (Submitted on December 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Auburn Branch Library, Atlanta, Georgia (1921-1959). The Auburn Branch’s story began almost twenty years before the library opened. When the Carnegie Library of Atlanta (CLA) was established in 1902 with a $125,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, it did not allow black users. Representatives from Atlanta’s African American community, including Atlanta University professor W.E.B. DuBois (1868-1963), demanded that the CLA provide access to blacks. DuBois questioned the legality of using tax money from blacks (who represented about a third of Atlanta’s population at the time) to support a whites-only public library. The CLA’s trustees not only refused to provide access, they also denied DuBois’s request for black (Submitted on December 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
More. Search the internet for Auburn Avenue Branch, Carnegie Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.