Mount Vernon in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected by Ohio Historical Markers Committee.
Location. 40° 24.647′ N, 82° 28.323′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Wooster Road (Ohio Route 3) and Grandview Drive, on the right when traveling west on Wooster Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Vernon OH 43050, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mary Ann Ball (approx. 1.4 miles away); Knox County Veterans Walk of Honor (approx. 1.4 miles away); Vallandigham's Speech, 1863 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Civil War Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Johnny Appleseed's Early Landholdings (approx. 1.6 miles away); Little Indian Fields (approx. 2 miles away); Mount Vernon Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lakeholm Administration Building (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Vernon.
Regarding Mt. Vernon. Mount Vernon annually celebrates the Dan Emmett Music & Arts Festival. To learn more about Dan Emmett: http://www.danemmett.org
1. Regarding the Samuel Thatcher Mill Milstone
Gilman Bryant built the first successful mill on Dry Creek, near the present site of the county infirmary. In 1824 he built a saw-mill, and in 1825 erected a grist-mill. John Wilson built a corn cracker at the Proper place in 1829, and Albertus Bird built a saw-mill in 1832 on the property now occupied by Harman Hollister. In 1827 Samuel Thatcher, Sr. built a saw-mill on the north fork of Dry Creek, one and a half miles north of Mt. Liberty, and in 1839 he built a carding-mill on the south fork, one half mile west of the present site of Mt. Liberty. He conducted the latter about two years and then abandoned it. Mr. Thatcher seems to have had a mania for building mills for he shortly after built another saw mill just south of the village, and sold it to George Beardsheare. This mill is still standing.
A saw- and grist-mill was built by Mr. Thatcher in 1847, on the north side of the creek just below Mt. Liberty, and sold to Mr. John Inscho. John D. Higgins subsequently purchased this mill and turned it into a barn, and in 1865 it was burnt. In 1862 two steam saw-mills were run in the village by Youngblood & Weller, and Peter Shafer.
From: History of Knox County, Ohio, Its Past and Present, compiled by Norman Newell Hill and originally published by A.A. Graham & Co., 1881.
— Submitted October 25, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,374 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.