Trenton in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Horn's Creek Church
Early Edgeﬁeld County History
Founded in 1768 as a result of a religious revival sweeping the American colonies known as the "Great Awakening," Horn's Creek Baptist church was one of the first churches established in the South Carolina backcountry. The church quickly became the religious and social center of a large area and was the focal point of much activity during the Colonial and Revolutionary years.
During the same time as the founding of Horn's Creek Church, law-abiding citizens were engaged in an effort to bring law and order to the frontier. Crime had become a major problem in the backcountry following the Cherokee War of 1760-1761, but there were no courts or law enforcement officials to bring the criminals to justice. in desperation, law-abiding citizens from across the backcountry of North and South Carolina formed a vigilante organization and called themselves "The Regulators." Chief among the Regulators in this area was Lawrence Rambo, an early settler and one of the founding members of Horn's Creek Church.
The American Revolution
Throughout the duration of the war, from 1775 to 1783, almost all people in this area were involved -- on one side or the other -- in the struggle for Independence. the Horn's Creek area was the center of much activity between Whigs and
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor marker series.
Location. 33° 43.267′ N, 81° 56.183′ W. Marker is in Trenton, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Old Stage Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is to the right of the church's front entrance. The church is located just south of the intersection of Old State and Yarborough Roads (both dirt roads). Marker is in this post office area: Trenton SC 29847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Darby (approx. 3.8 miles away); Benjamin Ryan Tillman (approx. 4.2 miles away); John Gary Evans (approx. 4.2 miles away); John Calhoun Sheppard (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Strom Thurmond Milledge Luke Bonham (approx. 4.3 miles away); Richard Tutt House / Tutt Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Francis Wilkinson Pickens (approx. 4.4 miles away); James Henry Hammond (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . .
1. Horns Creek Baptist Church. One of the oldest Baptist churches in the South Carolina Upcountry, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. "Bloody pentagram found inside Horn Creek Baptist Church", Edgefield Daily, March 25, 2008. Historic Horn Creek Baptist Church continues to be a place widely regarded as haunted and that draws many thrill seekers, mainly teens, and some self-proclaimed ghost hunters to the 218 year-old rural church. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. "Historic Church suffers from vandalism", Edgefield Daily, November 17, 2006. Horn's Creek Baptist Church, incorporated in 1790 and placed on the National Historic Register in 1971, has seen the restoration done in 1988 completely washed away (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. "A Horn's Creek Church Ghost in the mirror?", Edgefield Daily, Mach 19, 2008. EdgefieldDaily.com received a picture sent in by some area young adults that they claim shows a ghost when the picture was taken at the Horn Creek Baptist Church. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Graniteville Paranoramal Society Horns Creek Investigation. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Horn Creek Baptist Church
Horn Creek Baptist Church, incorporated in 1790, a simple one-roomed country church, has no electricity and remains essentially unchanged. Supported by fieldstone foundation piers, the church has wooden steps; two front door hinged to fold in center; wide board floors and louver shutters. Door behind pulpit leads to creek for baptizing. Adjoining cemetery has excellent iron work including cast iron gate at Bettis plot with design of Palmetto tree flanked by lambs and roses. Wooden picket fence next to Bettis plot surrounds fieldstone markers. Church is open on occasion for special services.
One of oldest Baptist
— Submitted August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Early Back-Country Churches: Horns Creek Church
Horns Creek Church, located about five miles south of the town of Edgefield and said to have been constituted about 1768, was probably a branch of Stephens Creek Church, though the history of its early years is lost. Rev. Messrs. Daniel Marshall, Saunders Walker, and Benjamin Harry covered this region with their missionary labors. Horns Creek Church appears as a member of the Georgia Association in 1788 with Hezekiah Walker as minister. In 1790 criticism of Mr. Walker came before the Bethel Association, which was about to proceed against him when a report
"Hezekiah Walker, John Frasier, and Samuel Walker with several other members...did their petition" ask and obtain incorporation by act of January 20, 1790, naming "The Baptist Church on Horns Creek in Edgefield County, in the State of South Carolina." John Bolger, a candidate for the ministry in 1792, soon left them.
Horns Creek asked dismissal from Georgia Association in 1801 to enter the Bethel Association in the next years. The important men in the congregation in 1802 were Samuel March and John Landrum, both of whom were ministers in 1803. This was a large and active church.
A second Horns Creek Church appears to have existed in 1790, which may have been a branch of Horns Creek. though more probably of Stephens Creek. Nothing is known of its location or history beyond the fact that Benjamin Harry was minister and the membership varied from twenty to twenty-five between 1790 and 1794. (Source: South Carolina Baptists, 1670-1805 by Leah Townsend (1974), pgs 161-162.)
— Submitted January 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,473 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.