Mesquite in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The valley served as the right-of-way for the Old Spanish Trail (1829-1848) and for the Mormon road or southern route of travel to southern California.
The areas was settled by pioneers of the Latter-Day Saints Church, who colonized Bunkerville in 1877, and Mesquite in 1880.
The Virgin River provided water for the development of the valley’s agricultural resources.
Erected 1969 by Nevada State Park System and Southern Nevada Historical Society. (Marker Number 56.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Old Spanish National Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 48.247′ N, 114° 4.113′ W. Marker is in Mesquite, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mesquite Boulevard (Nevada Route 144) and Yucca Street, on the right when traveling west on West Mesquite Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 West Mesquite Boulevard, Mesquite NV 89027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Museum and Fire House (here, next to this marker); Abbott Way Station The Old Spanish Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Egg House / Telephone Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Tithing Lot (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mesquite.
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to this marker for grammar and readability. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on October 25, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,659 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.