Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Joseph Loranger 1817
the Public Square
was granted by
County of Monroe
Location. 41° 54.884′ N, 83° 23.823′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East 1st Street and Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on East 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the Monroe County Courthouse building, near the northwest corner, facing East 1st Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East 1st Street, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Monroe County Since 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Whipping Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monroe Bank and Trust (about 600 feet away); Historic Crossroad (about 600 feet away); Eisenmann-Enteman Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Also see . . .
1. Old Village Historic District, Monroe, Michigan. The area is commonly referred to as the downtown area and is the oldest settled area in Monroe, dating back to 1817 when the area was first platted. The first roads were drawn out on a piece of land given by local landowner Joseph Loranger for the establishment of the village for the newly organized Monroe County. The current county courthouse was built in 1880, although the plot of land it is located on has housed the seat of the county government since 1817. (Submitted on January 1, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Old Village Plat. In 1817, Joseph Loranger offered a portion of his farm south of the River Raisin, as a location for the village. At the same time, Territorial Governor Lewis Cass created the district of Monroe County, named in honor of an expected visit from President James Monroe. Loranger’s offer of deeded public lands, streets and alleys was officially established in the incorporated village of Monroe. The Old Village Plat was then laid out by Henry Disbrow who adapted the conventional gridiron approach to platting, with a public square one block east of the main street. In this square, the original courthouse was built on the site of the present Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on January 1, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.