Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First “REA” Substation in Carroll County

 
 
First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
1. First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker
Inscription. In 1936, a young attorney from the Victory community began investigating the possibility of bringing electric service to rural farms and homes in the West Georgia area. Together with rural merchants, farmers, a preacher and a mail carrier, they formed the Carroll Rural Electric Association. The association used a loan from the Rural Electrification Administration to construct 117 miles of line to serve 344 residents of Carroll and Heard Counties. On July 31, 1937, the "Carrollton" substation was energized here to provide electricity to the communities of Victory, Tyus, Stoney Point, Burwell, Star Point, Bowdon Junction, Center Point, Hickory Level and others. This marked the humble beginning of Carroll Electric Membership Corporation.
 
Erected 1987 by Carroll Electric Membership Corporation.
 
Location. 33° 33.865′ N, 85° 6.464′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on Maple Street (Georgia Route 166) 0 miles east of W. Lake Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at the power substation. Marker is in this post office area: Carrollton GA 30116, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dixie Street (approx. 2.3 miles away);
First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker and Substation image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
2. First "REA" Substation in Carroll County Marker and Substation
Six Industrial Giants (was approx. 2.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 2.3 miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 8.5 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8.6 miles away); Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. 9 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 9 miles away); Council Bluffs Treaty (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement