Grass Valley in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy
Erected 1972 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Mount Saint Mary’s Historic Preservation Committee and the Sisters of Mercy, October 28, 1972. (Marker Number 855.)
Location. 39° 12.854′ N, 121° 4.056′ W. Marker is in Grass Valley, California, in Nevada County. Marker is on South Church Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the entrance gate. Marker is in this post office area: Grass Valley CA 95945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick’s Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Discovery of Gold at Gold Hill (approx. ¼ mile away); Lola Montez 1819 - 1861 (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Empire House Grass Valley Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Madison Lodge No. 23 F. & A.M. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward Coleman House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grass Valley.
Regarding Mount Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy. Site is on South Church Street between Chapel and Dalton Streets.
This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.855
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Account of Saint Mary’s Convent and Academy. (Submitted on October 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Walking Tour of Historic Grass Valley. Published by the Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce, this brochure highlights many of the historical sites and buildings in Grass Valley. Mount St. Mary's Convent (now known as St. Joseph's Cultural Center) is #47 and the final Stop on the walking tour. (Submitted on October 13, 2011.)
1. Grass Valley Museum
Location: Old Mt. St. Mary's Academy, corner of Church and Chapel Streets, Grass Valley. Hours: Year round 10 am - 3 pm Tuesday through Friday, Weekends June through
Built in 1865 as a convent for the Sisters of Mercy, this restored school and orphanage offers a glimpse of some of the past uses of the building. The museum includes an original classroom, parlor, music room, doctor's office and memorabilia from Grass Valley's early days.
— Submitted October 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,733 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 23, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 9, 10. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.