Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Palestine in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Swanson Cemetery

 
 
Swanson Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
1. Swanson Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Micam Main of Illinois was granted a league of land by the Mexican government in 1835. One of the area's first brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden, died while working on Main's estate on Christmas Eve in 1847. He was interred on this site. According to oral history, Warden's grave was marked only with bricks of his own manufacture. His is believed to have been the first burial in this cemetery.

Virginia native Henry Clay Swanson (1822-1906), a former member of the Alabama state legislature, moved to Texas with his brother, James Madison Swanson, their families and slaves in 1851. "Colonel" Henry C. Swanson owned a farm east of Palestine and later operated a mercantile store in town. He purchased the land around the cemetery from Elisha Main, Micam Main's son and heir, in 1854.

The slaves and former slaves of Henry Clay Swanson and James M. Swanson, as well as African Americans from Anderson County and neighboring areas, were interred on this site. Descendants of slaves attended funerals here from 1872 to the late 1940s and early 1950s. A young girl was among the last interred in the well-populated burial site in the late 1940s.
Swanson Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
2. Swanson Cemetery Marker
Swanson Cemetery marker is on the left and Texas State Railroad marker is on the right.
Others buried here include Tom Swanson, a former slave from Virginia to whom Henry Swanson willed $100, and two of his brothers, as well as their descendants.

Thirty-six marked and approximately 23 unmarked graves are believed to grace the cemetery. This is the final resting place of many of those whose labor built Anderson County, Houston County, and the State of Texas.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11660.)
 
Location. 31° 44.346′ N, 95° 34.247′ W. Marker is near Palestine, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is on Park Road 70, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Texas State Railroad Palestine Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 789 Park Road 70, Palestine TX 75801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas State Railroad (a few steps from this marker); John H. Reagan Monument (approx. 3 miles away); John H. Reagan (approx. 3 miles away); Roy B. Wallace (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dr. Bonner Frizzell (approx. 3.6 miles away); Robert (Bob) Knight (approx. 3.6 miles away); Palestine High School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Micham Main (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palestine.
 
Regarding Swanson Cemetery.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
The cemetery is located approximately 1/2 mile away from the marker site (near the intersection of Park Road 70 and US 84) and is inaccessible.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 

More. Search the internet for Swanson Cemetery.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 132 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement