Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Irish in Columbus
Thousands of Irish immigrants came to Columbus to seek personal and religious freedom. With the "Great Hunger" in Ireland and the completion of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the National Road, immigration to Columbus increased in the mid nineteenth century. They initially settled in the north side of the city in the swamp flats, where inexpensive land was available and work could be had on the railroads. Settlement spread to Franklinton, on Naghten Street, later known as "Irish Broadway"- part of which is now Nationwide Boulevard, and to nearby Flytown. The immigrants became domestic workers, civil servants, entrepreneurs, and served the city in police and fire departments. Others were leaders in government, law, medicine, and education. Their legacy continues today in the Irish-American population of Columbus, Ohio.
These are only a representative few of the Irish individuals and groups who were prominent in the formation of Columbus.
Irish in Columbus before Ohio Statehood
Lucas Sullivant, Founder of Franklinton in 1797
John Brickell, Early settler
Irish in Columbus during early Statehood
Thomas Kirker, Ohio's 2nd governor, acting 1807-08 term
John Kerr, 2nd Mayor of Columbus
Alfred Kelley, Father of Ohio Canals,
Irish in Columbus after the Great Hunger (1845)
Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis, St. Francis Hospital
Dominican Sisters, St. Mary of the Springs, St. Mary of the Springs Academy
William "Billy" Naghten, Columbus City Council President
Patrick Egan, Franklin County Coroner for ten terms
Jeremiah O'Shaughnessy, Superintendent, Division of Water, Columbus, Ohio
Erected 2002 by Coalition of Columbus Irish-American Organizations [Ancient Order of Hibernians, Daughters of Erin, Emerald Society of Columbus, Ohio, Greater Columbus Irish Cultural Foundation, Irish Living History Society of Central Ohio, Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians, The Gaelic League of Central Ohio, The Shamrock Club of Columbus, Ohio] and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 42-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 57.968′ N, 83° 0.462′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of John McConnell Boulevard and Spring Street (U.S. 33), on the right when traveling north on John McConnell Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. General John Hunt Morgan, CSA / Morgan's Escape (within shouting distance of this marker); Working Class Neighborhoods (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Urban Face of the Scioto River (about 400 feet away); William and Hannah Neil (about 600 feet away); Transportation, Growth, and Development (about 700 feet away); John Brickell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Native Americans (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Railroads (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,042 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.