Leesville in Saluda County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This school, established in 1896 as both a grammar and high school, was built as a 1-room building and was expanded to 3 rooms by 1900. With as many as 4 teachers and well over 100 students in its best years, Delmar School taught over 600 students in its 56-year history. Though the high school (grades 8-10) closed in the mid-1930s the grammar school (grades 1-7) continued to serve the Delmar community until it closed in 1952.
Erected 1996 by Students and Friends of Delmar School. (Marker Number 41-8.)
Location. 34° 1.257′ N, 81° 31.4′ W. Marker is in Leesville, South Carolina, in Saluda County. Marker is on SC Highway 391, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at the intersection of SC Highway 391 and Old Delmar School Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Old Delmar School Road, Leesville SC 29070, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Delmar School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hare’s Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hartley House (approx. 7.4 miles away); Lee's Tavern Site Flat Grove (approx. 10.2 miles away); Lewie Chapel (Old Gilbert Methodist Church) / The Lewie Family (approx. 10.3 miles away); Revolutionary Skirmish Near Juniper Springs (approx. 10.3 miles away); St. Peter Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); Mitchell Hill Advent Christian Chruch (approx. 10.9 miles away); Butler Family Graves (approx. 11.4 miles away).
Regarding Delmar School. The building is now the home of the Delmar Nutrition Site in Leesville, South Carolina.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.