Greenville in Butler County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Our Confederate Dead Monument
Dead, but his heart is ours;
Dead, but his sunny and sad land wreathes
his crown with tears for flowers.
Erected 1903 by The Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 31° 49.745′ N, 86° 37.381′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Alabama, in Butler County. Marker is on Adams Street west of South Park Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in Confederate Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: Adams Street, Greenville AL 36037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Confederate Dead (here, next to this marker); Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School The Camellia City/Greenville (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Captain William Butler (about 300 feet away); Pioneer Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Site of Confederate Hospital (about 500 feet away); West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
More about this marker. Confederate Park was established in 1902, in front of the First Methodist Church, on one acre of land donated by the church to the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The following year the UDC commissioned this 16-foot marble statue of a Confederate soldier on a pedestal.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 19, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.