Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Carlisle in Bonaventure MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church

Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 15

 
 
L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
1. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  

En 1798, le synode de l'Église presbytérienne, d'Écosse délègue deux évangélistes au Canada; l'un d'eux se rend dans la Baie-des-Chaleurs. Deux ans plus tard, la Société des Missionnaires de Londres envoie le révérend John Mitchell et, en novembre 1800, il est venu à New Carlisle. Il prononce son premier sermon dans la maison d'un des pionniers, Robert Caldwell.

En 1820, la première église presbytérienne est construite. En 1925, à la suite d'une entente entre les églises presbytérienne, méthodiste et congrégationnelle, elle s'intègre à l'Église Unie du Canada.

À New Carlisle, après cette fusion, 51 adultes et 32 enfants restent fidèles à l'Église presbytérienne. Les offices sont tenus à l'Hôtel de Ville et, exceptionnellement, au cours de l'hiver, au «School Home».

En 1929, grâce aux dons reçus et au zèle de la congrégation, l'église Knox est construite. Son nom est choisi en souvenir de John Knox qui participa à l'établissement de la Réforme en Angleterre et fut l'un des fondateurs de l'Église presbytérienn en Écosse. Le 18 juin 1930, l'église est consacrée.

Depuis quelques années, il n'y a plus de ministre

L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
2. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church Marker (back)
à l'église Knox. Ses membres dépendent de la visite de pasteurs du diocèse pour la célébration des offices religieux.

[Légendes photo, de gauche à droite, lisez]
• Église Presbytérienne-Knox 1930.

• Le symbole de la religion presbyterienne est le « buisson ardent » qui brûle sans se consumer. Ce buisson apparut à Moïse en Égypte et lui servit de signe pour délivrer ses compatriotes (Exode III, 3-13).

• Église Presbytérienne-Knox 1925.

[Arrière du marqueur]

Vers 1820, dix-sept chefs de famille presbytériens s'entendent afin de faire construire à New Carlisle une église pour l'adoration publique affiliée à l'Église d'Écosse.

On procède à l'évaluation du coût de la construction de ce bâtiment de dix-huit bancs. Chaque signataire de l'entente voit sa participation évaluée à un banc. La part de chacun peut être fournie sous forme d'argent, de matériaux ou de temps et ce, avant le 1er décembre 1822. Le document ci-joint est la reproduction de celui qui avait été signé à New Carlisle le 17 février 1820. L'original est conservé aux archives de l'Église presbytérienne à Toronto.

———————————————————————————

On the Gaspé, the Presbyterian faith
L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church et/and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
3. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church et/and Marker
goes back to 1798, when the reverend[s] Waddell and Dripps were sent to Canada by the Associate Synod of Scotland: Their mission brought them to the Bay of Chaleurs.

The Reverend John Mitchell was sent out in 1800 by the London Missionary Society and, in November, 1800, he came to New Carlisle.

The first sermon was preached to the new colonists in the parlour of Robert Caldwell's house.

In 1820, the first Presbyterian church was built and, in 1925, following the union between the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches, the building became the property of the United Church of Christ.

In New Carlisle, following the union of 1925, the membership of the Presbyterian Church consisting of 51 adults and 32 children decided to keep their Presbyterian faith and built this second church.

Until this church was completed, the services were held at the Town Hall and, one winter in the school residence. In 1929, due to the strenuous efforts of the congregation and some outside donations, Knox Church was finally built[, w]ith the dedication taking place on June 18, 1930.

For several years, Knox Presbyterian Church has not had a resident minister and its congregation depends on the visits of ministers from the presbytery of Miramichi.

[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
• Knox [Presbyterian] Church 1930

• The Burning Bush symbol

L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
4. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church
of the Presbyterian Church means "burning but not consumed".

• Knox Presbyterian Church 1930

[Rear of marker]

The following is a reproduction of the original document signed at New Carlisle on February 17, 1820 pledging the construction of the first Presbyterian Church. The original document is preserved in the archives of the Church in Toronto.
 
Location. 48° 0.576′ N, 65° 19.711′ W. Marker is in New Carlisle, Quebec, in Bonaventure MRC. Marker is at the intersection of boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) and rue Réne-Lévesque, on the right when traveling west on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 boulevard Gérard-D-Levesque, New Carlisle, Quebec G0C 1Z0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Loyalist / Les Loyalistes (within shouting distance of this marker); Maison Tremblay House / L'eglise Unie Zion United Church (within shouting distance of this marker); La naissance de New Carlisle / Parc municipal (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Légion Royale Canadienne / Palais de Justice (about 120 meters away); War Memorial (about 120 meters away); L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); L'education - New Carlisle High School (approx. 0.7 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .

L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
5. L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church

1. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour. (Submitted on February 22, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour Map. (Submitted on February 22, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 22, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement