Hillbrook in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
From Rural to Residential
A Self-Reliant People
—Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail —
In 1833 Levi Sherriff purchased several hundred acres along Watts Branch from William Benning's nephew. With the labor of some 19 enslaved people, Sheriff raised livestock and tobacco. Upon his death in 1853, Sheriff's three daughters—Mary Cornelia, Emmeline, and Margaret--inherited the family farm.
Sheriff bequeathed his house, which once stood near today's 5000 block of Jay Street to Mary Cornelia, who married John Dean. The last Sheriff descendant to live there was Reverend Dr. Randolph W. Lowrie, Margaret's son, who died in 1913. A surviving family home at 4421 Jay Street was adapted later for church use.
In 1871 the Southern Maryland Railroad built a station near the old Bladensburg-Piscataway Road (Minnesota Avenue) bordering the Sheriff farm. The enterprising Sheriff sisters carved their farmland into lots for sale in three subdivisions: Whittingham, Lincoln Heights, and Burrville. They didn't become rich, though. Eventually--after the sisters passed
On August 4, 1965, the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., addressed a rally on the open land across from this sign. Sargent Memorial Church, pastored by Reverend Everett A. Hewlett, hosted him in Deanwood. The following day, Dr. King met with President Lyndon B. Johnson to receive assurances that Johnson supported home rule for DC residents.
Long a Country Town at the edge of Washington DC's urban center, Deanwood was forged out of former slave plantations during decades following the Civil War. It became one of Washington's earliest predominantly African American Communities.
Greater Deanwood today emcompasses the historic neighborhoods of Deanwood, Burrville, Lincoln Heights, and Whittingham.
In the 1800s, much of Washington's development followed decisions made by city leaders and investors, who favored areas northwest of Anacostia. Land here remained relatively untouched, and many streets were unpaved into the 1960s. Because builders chose not to apply racial restrictions on who could buy here, African American migrants found Deanwood welcoming, affordable, and convenient.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 53.898′ N, 76° 55.888′ W. Marker is in Hillbrook, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Grant Street Northeast and 49th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Grant Street Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4903 Grant Street Northeast, Washington DC 20019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lederer Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); A Whirl on the Ferris Wheel (was about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); National Training School for Women and Girls/ Nannie Helen Burroughs (about 500 feet away); Butterflies (approx. 0.2 miles away); From Gardens to Garden Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Day at the Picture Show (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Watts Going On (approx. 0.3 miles away); With These Hands (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillbrook.
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on March 7, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.