Surfside Beach in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
In colonial and antebellum days, at this site stood the planter's residence of the Ark, a large indigo plantation. On July 18, 1765 John Bartram recorded he lodged here, at Peak's, “on ye west end of long bay." A property re-survey for John M. Tillman in 1838 records that the property consisted of 3,194 acres at that time. It also shows several dwellings north of the main house.
Erected 2019 by Surfside Historical Society and Sponsored by the Town of Surfside Beach. (Marker Number 26 29.)
Location. 33° 36.322′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Myrtle Beach SC 29575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James Rosenwald School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Major General Gilbert L. Meyers (approx. 4.2 miles away); Visiting Officer’s Quarters (Billeting) (approx. 4.3 miles away); NCO Open Mess (approx. 4.3 miles away); Officers Open Mess (approx. 4.3 miles away); 1943 (approx. 4˝ miles away); Colonel Francis S. Gabreski (approx. 4˝ miles away); Colonel Alva "George" Branch (approx. 4˝ miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2019, by Charles Keller of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 10, 2019, by Charles Keller of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.