Flandreau in Moody County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Flandreau Indian High School
The first school was called Riggs Institute after the Rev. Alfred Riggs, missionary teacher and friend of the Rev. Mr. John Williamson, who had led the Sioux to Flandreau. Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs in the National Archives show that on January 1, 1873, the Rev. Mr. P. A. Van Nuys was appointed as teacher. Among other early teachers were Hosea Locke and the Rev. Mr. John Eastman, an Indian minister of the First Presbyterian Church which, erected in 1873, still stands on Highway 13 north of Flandreau.
In 1890 Congress appropriated $2,000 for purchase of 160 acres of land for the site of an industrial school near the village of Flandreau. In 1891 the federal government bought the land where the present Flandreau Indian High School stands and established a boarding school for Indian youth. Some of the first buildings erected are still in use. In 1895 the cost per pupil was $167 per year, or approximately
Today, the Flandreau Indian High School, totally supported by the federal government has more than twenty buildings and facilities to provide a varied program for 600 boarding school students. All teachers are certified by the South Dakota Department of Public Instruction, and the school is accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges
Erected 1974 by U. S.Department of the Interior, S. D. Department of Transportation, S.D. State Historical Society.
Location. 44° 3.854′ N, 96° 35.256′ W. Marker is in Flandreau, South Dakota, in Moody County. Marker is on State Highway 13 0.2 miles south of 229th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flandreau SD 57028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veteran's Memorial Park (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Lone Tree (approx. 9.2 miles away); Brookings County (approx. 13˝ miles away); Moody County (approx. 13˝ miles away); Medary First Convention in Brookings County (approx. 14.2 miles away); Medary Townsite (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2019, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 10, 2019, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.