Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George Abram Harter (1853-1943)
Under his leadership, student enrollment doubled, the fraternity system was established, the first yearbook was published, the first athletics director was hired, the Cooperative Extension Service was begun and Mechanical Hall was constructed. He was also instrumental in helping to establish the Women's College, which opened in 1914.
A gift of benefactor Pierre S. du Pont, Harter Residence Hall was constructed in 1917.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Location. 39° 40.962′ N, 75° 45.145′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (within shouting Elliott Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Alumni Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jastak-Burgess Hall (about 300 feet away); The Diamonds Walkway (about 400 feet away); Recitation Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Communications • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.