Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brown-Stetson-Sanford House

 
 
Brown-Stetson-Sanford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 10, 2002
1. Brown-Stetson-Sanford House Marker
Inscription. This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to serve visitors and legislators during the city's years as capital of Georgia (1807-1868). In 1857 the house was purchased by merchant Daniel B. Stetson. His daughter Elizabeth married Judge Daniel B. Sanford, Clerk of the Secession Convention, in 1868. From 1951-1966 the house was renowned as the Sanford House Tea Room. The family then donated it to the Old Capital Historical Society who moved it here in 1966
 
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society and Old Capital Historical Society. (Marker Number 005-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 4.783′ N, 83° 14.141′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hancock Street (Georgia Route 49) and Jackson Street, on the right when traveling west on West Hancock Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 West Hancock Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Brown-Stetson-Sanford House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 17, 2001
2. Brown-Stetson-Sanford House Marker
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Route of the Twentieth Corps (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); State College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Governorís Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Old Governor's Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. ľ mile away); Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tomlinson Fort House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,971 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement