Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Altamont, New York
—The Museum in the Streets —
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a turntable, a water tower, and a large open space, soon adopted by area residents as "the village park." The park, fenced by the railroad company in 1888, became an important gathering place, and the residents erected a roofed, two-story pagoda in 1889. In December 1942, the Village purchased the park from the D&H Railroad. The old pagoda was torn down in 1947 and replaced with the current gazebo in 1978. In May 1997, the park received its first official name, dedicated as the Ernest P. Orsini Veterans Memorial Park.
Erected by Hudson River Valley Greenway. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 42° 42.075′ N, 74° 1.971′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 156) and Maple Avenur (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. In park by train station. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Altamont Free Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Home Front Cafe (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedicated (within shouting distance of this marker); Altamont (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beebe Harness Shop (about 400 feet away); Inn of George Severson (about 400 feet away); Fire Department/Village Hall (about 400 feet away); Enterprise Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Altamont.
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 86 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.