Lawrence A. Young Cottage in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Lawrence A. Young Cottage
National Register of Historic Places
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Location. 45° 51.109′ N, 84° 37.2′ W. Marker is in Lawrence A. Young Cottage, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fort Street and Huron Road. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk near the Lawrence A. Young Cottage entrance. Marker is mounted near ground level, on a knee-high boulder, just inside the front gate. Marker is in this post office area: Mackinac Island MI 49757, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Fur Company Store (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scout Barracks / Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Somewhere in Time Gazebo (approx. ¼ mile away); Greany Grove (approx. ¼ mile away); Mackinac Conference (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Island House (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Regarding Lawrence A. Young Cottage.
Also see . . .
1. Michigan Governor's Summer Residence. The Michigan Governor Summer Residence is a premier cottage sited on the bluff overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. Although the cottage is now white, it was originally stained dark green with red trim. The exterior is Michigan white pine and the interior is Georgia yellow pine. The cottage has a basement and three additional stories, with eleven bedrooms, nine and one-half bathrooms, and large open porches. (Submitted on April 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Michigan Governor's Summer Residence (Wikipedia). In 1895, the Mackinac Island State Park Commission voted to lease cottage sites on Mackinac Island, with the stipulation that lessees must construct a cottage worth at least $3000 on the site within one year. The fourth such lease was issued in 1901 to Chicago attorney Lawrence Andrew Young. Young retained architect Frederick W. Perkins to design the house and hired contractor Patrick Doud to construct it. The house was owned later by the Hugo Scherer family of Detroit. In 1944, the Mackinac Island State Park Commission purchased the home for its original cost of $15,000. Since (Submitted on April 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 4, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.